2020 is just flying by! Next thing you know, our children will be back in school, and we will be racing to drop them off in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon! In the wake of COVID-19, many of us may be looking forward to our little ones to be returning to school, and most of our little ones have started actually to miss their classroom time.
We may be racing our kids back to school in the fall, but we still have to be mindful of the other drivers on the road, along with other students on their way to class. The team at Placentia Super Service is here to help with these ten tips for driving safely in school zones:
- If you are on your way to work, you might want to adjust your route to avoid school zones altogether.
- Step on the brakes and pay attention to speed limits! Speed limits in school zones tend to be 5-10 miles per hour.
- Be on the lookout for buses -- passing a stopped school bus is actually against the law.
- Keep a close eye out for kids and their parents on the sidewalks and intersections. It is incredibly important to drive slow because you might encounter an excited little one racing across the street before it is their turn to cross!
- If you have to drive through a school zone, leave a few minutes early to avoid having to rush. It is never safe to be in a rush in a school zone.
- Put down that cellphone and eliminate all other distractions.
- Be cautious of your pedestrian blind post. If you are making a turn, it is easy to miss a pedestrian that is hidden by the blind spots between your windshield and side windows.
- Even if the light is green, proceed with caution and check to make sure there are no pedestrians still trying to cross.
- If you have to reverse at some point, be especially careful with children and pedestrians.
- Be mindful of any pedestrian crossing signals and signs that might require you to stop at an unusual spot.
Last but not definitely not least -- make sure your vehicle is performing in tip-top shape. We don’t want you to have to deal with a broken-down vehicle in a school zone. Bring your vehicle to the team at Placentia Super Service, and we will make sure your vehicle is ready to go! Schedule an appointment online. Placentia Super Service is conveniently located at 643 S. Melrose Street, Placentia, CA 92870.